Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Peaceful Child

Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 21 of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please know that what we all learn from a study is usually different. Therefore, we encourage you to share what you've learned from this chapter as well.

On page 146 Stormie writes the following...

Take a long look at your child. Is the common expression on his or her face one of peace, happiness, and joy? Or is it distress, frustration, dissatisfaction, anger, depression, or sadness?


After reading this, I pause and think of my child with autism. I remember when he was 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and even 7 years old he was the happiest child. He always smiled. He always gave big hugs. Most importantly he always had a sense of peace about him that let you know "I'm ok mom." even though he couldn't verbally tell me. Recently, we enrolled Sean, who is now 8, in public schools. I have been thrilled with his academic progress, his social progress and how well he is adjusting. However, he seems to have lost that permanent smile. The desire to hug us all of the time. This chapter reminded me that our children go through so much socially and emotionally. It's important that we lift them up in prayer so that they have a peaceful mind. Most likely with Sean, it is due to more anxiety with starting school again. It's so easy for me though, to blame it on the food, sugars or fighting off a virus. I'm sure it all plays a part in his anxiety. However, I've forgotten the most important thing here...prayer. I should be covering my son in prayer over his anxiety. By doing this, God will not only protect my son and give him that peaceful mind he needs, he will also guide me in the right direction to help find the source of the anxiety.

Lord,
I lift up all of our children to you today. I ask that you give them all a peaceful mind. Help them fight off the anxiety that plays such a huge role in autism. Guide us in helping them remain peaceful and feeling your love. I also pray that you will protect everyone on the East Coast from any disaster that Hurricane Irene may cause. I pray that you will give us all a sense of peace during this time and keep us safe from harm.
In Your Name we pray,
Amen

Bible Verses from Chapter 21
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. -John 15:10-11

You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. -Psalm 16:11

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. -Romans 15:13

His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. -Psalm 30:5

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. - Isaiah 61:10

No comments: