Monday, August 1, 2011

A Love of Learning

Below are Jessica's thoughts on Chapter 14 of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please keep in mind that what we all learn from a study is usually different. We would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter as well. Please share in the comment section below this post.

This chapter ministered to me on so many levels. I have been homeschooling my six year old son with autism, Matthew and have recently begun to also home school my nine year old son, Anthony. I was especially touched by the prayer at the end of this chapter, which focused and encouraged me greatly in terms of what I want each of my children to receive from their educational experience.

"In one way or another, of course, we all have deficiencies. Thankfully, God makes up for our deficiencies with His strength. His word says, 'Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God' "(2 Corinthians 3:5) -quoted from The Power of A Praying Parent, Stormie Omartian p. 107-8)

When I tell people that I am homeschooling I am always intrigued by their reaction. Often, people think I must be a saint or full of unending patience. The truth is that I am neither of these things, I am simply doing what God has put on my heart to do. Whenever we are operating in God's will for our lives He gives us His grace to do what we think we cannot do. I needed that reminder: that I am only able to do this through God's grace. As Stormie points out from 2 Corinthians 3:5, my sufficiency is from God, and He makes up for my deficiencies. In the same way, we must trust and believe that when we place our children and their needs in His hands, He will do the same for them.

It also encouraged me greatly when Stormie reminded me to pray that my children will be taught by the Lord. The hardest part for me about homeschooling is falling prey to the thought that I am doing this all on my own, when this couldn't be farther from the truth. God has his own plan for my children and I am simply the hands and feet that He is using at the moment. She also reminds us that a love of knowledge begins with love and knowledge of the Lord.

I know that many of us are either preparing to begin our school year or getting our kids ready to go back to school. Wherever and however our children are being taught, we can pray that they will be taught by the Lord, and that He gives them knowledge, understanding, perseverance and strength to make up for any areas where they are lacking.

Bible Verses from Chapter 14:

"All your sons shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children."
-Isaiah 54:13

"Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."
-2 Timothy 2:7

"Not that of ourselves we are qualified to take credit for anything as coming from us; rather our qualification comes from God"
-2 Corinthians 3:5

"Then you will understand the fear of the Lord; For the Lord gives wisdom, from his mouth come knowledge and understanding"
-Proverbs 2: 5-6

No comments: