Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Forever Seeking God

Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 17 of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please know that what we are learn from a study is usually different. Therefore, we encourage you to leave your comments, questions and/or scripture in the comment section below this post.

I remember my boys being two years old and loving church. They couldn't wait until Sunday. After church, my son Hunter would fill our ears with everything he learned at church and how he needed to make sure everyone knew Jesus. Our son with autism, Sean, would tell us his memory verse each week. When Hunter turned three he was very concerned about his friends at school that didn't know Jesus. Sean would sing "Jesus Loves Me" and "Joshua Fought The Battle of Jericho." My boys had a true desire to not only hear and learn about God but to be surrounded by other Believers.

Then when they turned six, the songs changed from "Jesus Loves Me" to songs Sean heard on television. Hunter complained about having to get up and go to church. They were losing their true desire to be holy. I believe this happens because of many different things. We may have skipped a Sunday or two and they got in the habit of not going. They watched tv and read more books that didn't have anything to do about God. They wanted to watch what all of their friends were watching. I look back now and can see that they are still Believers and love church. However, their passion has dwindled.

I am so thankful for this chapter. It has shown me that I need to pray that my boys will get their passion back and seek the Holy Spirit. I know they love God and I know they are Believers and enjoy church. However, I also know they have so much more passion in them for Christ.

Dear Lord,
I thank you so much for giving my kids the love for You. I pray that you will show me how I can help them always seek the Holy Spirit so that they can discern what is right and what is wrong in life. Help them find their passion for you again and to truly desire to seek your ways throughout their lives.
Amen

Bible Verses from Chapter 17
Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. -Psalm 24:3-5

In a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. 2 Timothy 2:20-21

Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. -John 15:2

No comments: