Monday, June 27, 2011

Praying For Honor

(Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 6 of The Power of the Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please know that what we all learn from a study is usually different. We encourage you to share your thoughts in the comment section below this post. We're sure you'll lift someone's spirit.)

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. - Ephesians 6:1-3

Whoever curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in the deep darkness. -Proverbs 20:20

Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord. -Colossians 3:20

Everyone rebels at some point in life. Especially if we are not taught to be obedient to our parents and to God. Even our children with autism will rebel one day. However, for me, my son with autism is easier to point in the right direction than his brother who doesn't have autism. Today, we're going to talk about the siblings of children with autism.

Let me back up a little....I have twin boys who are eight years old. One of my sons, Sean, has autism. His brother, Hunter, does not. Hunter, however, suffers from a case of rebellion. At school, he's the perfect student. An angel. At home, it's the opposite. He really pushes the limit to see what he can get away with. Hunter even says to me one day..."Mom, it's just not fair. Why do I have to listen to you and Dad? Why do you have to be in charge? It's just not fair!" Do you think he's ever said this to any of his teachers? No, of course not. That's when it dawned on me. His teachers have always taught him you have to be obedient at school. You listen to the teacher, sit at your desk, prowl the Panther hallway (school lingo), raise your hand in class, and do your work. Don't get me wrong, my husband and I have tried our hardest to make sure he is disciplined at home as well. However, in the back of our minds we're always saying..."he's going through something too with having a twin brother with autism." So we may let things slide a little more than we should.

Chapter 6, Honoring Parents and Resisting Rebellion, spoke volumes to me. Especially for Hunter. Here are the points that really touched home the most:

* Rebellion is actually pride put into action. Rebellious thoughts say "I'm going to do what I want, no matter what God or anyone else says about it." -p. 58
* The Bible promises that if we are obedient we will be blessed, but if we are not we will dwell in darkness and be destroyed. - p. 58
* One of the first steps of obedience for children is to obey and honor their parents. This is something a child must be taught, but teaching becomes easier when prayer paves the way. - p.58
* Rebellion will surface in your child at one time or another. Be ready to meet the challenge with prayer and the Word of God, along with correction, discipline, and teaching. Don't be intimidated by a rebellious spirit. - p. 60

Please don't get me wrong...my Hunter is a good child. He helps around the house, does his homework, plays with his brother and is very respectful to us. However, he is my strong willed child. He is the one who will question authority in the our home and why he can't be in charge. He even told me one day after I told him to go clean his room that I treat him like a servant. After I opend his Bible and showed him where God says to honor your mother and father as well as some other wonderful parenting verses, he knew he needed to do what we asked, he just didn't like it. For Sean, my son with autism, we just have to explain to him why he has to do what we say and what the consequences are and he does it. He may need help following through but he will do it. For Hunter, he will question why he has to listen. He will still do what I ask him to do but it always entails a long battle beforehand.

The key to all of this is that we as the parents of our children are responsible for teaching our children how to be obedient. We are the ones who rebel when we do not do this. I'm very exciting to cover Hunter in this prayer against rebellion. I am also excited to cover Sean in it as well to help him stay on task. It gives my mind so much peace knowing that God has control over this situation because of prayer.

Dear Lord,
I give you Hunter and his rebellious ways. I pray that you will protect his mind and spirit from all rebellion. Thank you for his loving spirit, fun personality and big heart. Help him see how honoring his parents will give him many more blessings in life and that it's easier to do as we ask instead having a battle with us. I also pray for Sean that you will help him follow through with continuing to listen and to stay away from being rebellious.
Amen

No comments: