Thursday, June 16, 2011

Our Best Protection

(Below are Jessica's thoughts on Chapter 3, Securing Protection from Harm of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion, question and/or scripture at the end of this post.)

There are so many things that we want to protect our special children from. So many things weigh on our minds; bullying, physical injuries, bad teachers, adverse side effects from treatments and the thing I think we all fear the most raising children with autism-that we will be unable to meet their needs as they get older. It is so easy to play the "what if" game and get caught in a tailspin of fear and anxiety.

I think our children remind us of the need to be dedicated prayer warriors all the more because of the special challenges they (and we) face. At these times, when they seem like they are the most vulnerable, we need to remind ourselves of how strong and resilient they are. My son can seem so fragile because he struggles with severe social anxiety and painful sound sensitivity. But when you think of all he has had to deal with and face, most people stand in awe. It never ceases to amaze me when I see what a good sport he is when he has to endure another medical procedure or how hard he works to make progress. This is truly a gift from God. By remaining committed to praying for their specific needs, we are opening them up to God's protection and for His supernatural power and grace to flow through them (and us!).

I also need to take these moments as an opportunity to take inventory of the ways that God has protected him already. Before I gave birth, I lost consciousness when my blood pressure drastically dropped in response to anesthesia. When he was a year old, he had an unexpected and life-threatening allergic reaction. I have often looked at these events as parts of a great loss, eventually leading to an autism diagnosis. But looking at them through the eyes of a "Praying Parent", I am blessed to have his life still intact after these events. I can be thankful for the progress, healing and guidance I have received. I can pray about all of my fears for the future, and know that God's protection is on him. I can trust that God already has his future mapped out, and, unlike me, His plans are always perfect.

Bible Verses from Chapter 3:

For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
-Psalm 91: 11-12

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
-Isaiah 43:2

No weapon forged against you will prevail,
and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
and this is their vindication from me,”
declares the Lord.
-Isaiah 54:17

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
-Psalm 91:9-10

No comments: