Monday, June 13, 2011

Just Released!: The Burden of Doing It All Yourself

(Below are Jessica's thoughts on Chapter 2, Releasing My Child Into God's Hands, of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion, question and/or scripture at the end of this post.)

"Lord, my son is my biggest 'care' I have, and I release him into Your hands. Only You can raise him right and truly keep him safe. I will no longer strive to do it all by myself but will enter into full partnership with you" -(Stormie Omartian, Power of a Praying Parent p. 33)

I greatly relate to Stormie's journey in raising her first child. I think I was possibly the most neurotic first time parent ever. This caused me a great deal of stress and kept me from true peace. Unlike Stormie, I didn't fully surrender my children to the Lord until my second son was diagnosed with autism. At first, I tried to solve all of their issues on my own strength and understanding. I prayed a great deal, but like Stormie shares, often out of desperation and sheer exhaustion. I felt like I had faith in God, but it wasn't until I learned to partner with Him and trust Him to lead me that the pressure lifted and peace could return.

I'm going to be honest. My peace is attacked quite often. There are many days that I feel like I need to be in constant prayer in order to have any measure of patience in light of the demands of raising my children. The difference is, I know it is not all on me, and that our Heavenly Father is the only one who really knows all the answers. I was so caught up in having the right plan, teachers, schools, therapists, treatments and doctors that I, of course, was the only one who could find. Only when I took a step back and gave God control over my son's present needs and future did the right doors begin to open for us. On my own strength, homeschooling seemed like the most impossible task. I am only able to do it because I know that God is doing it with me. I would never attempt something like this on my own or without God's leading.

Whatever decisions you are facing for your child, know that you are not alone. Let your soul rest in the assurance that your Heavenly Father knows best and loves your child more than you could imagine. He is waiting for you to take the next step, to invite him into this very important aspect of your life and to give your cares, fears and questions to him. He will lead you in the direction you need to go and will never leave you without the help you need most.

Bible Verses from Chapter 2:

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” -1 Samuel 1: 27-29

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. -1 Peter 5:7

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! -Matthew 7:11

They will not labor in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune;
for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
-Isaiah 65:23

No comments: