Monday, September 19, 2011

Praying Down The Strongholds of Anxiety and Fear

Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 28 of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian.  Please know that what we all learn from a study is usually different.  Therefore, we ask that you share what you've learned in the comment section below the post.

In Chapter 28, Breaking Down Ungodly Strongholds, we learn the importance of praying away certain feelings that Satan can use to keep us down.  We also learn about the different types of strongholds that are not good for us.  Lying, fear, hurting, anxiety, hopelessness, confusion, envy, selfishness and pride.  There are so many strongholds that Stormie encourages us to pray to God to show us the strongholds over our children.

For my child with autism, it's fear and anxiety.  Almost everything he does is out of fear.  Scripting, going into his room and being by himself, not approaching other children, covering his ears.  My son is now able to tell me how he is feeling.  Still working on the why he's feeling that way however, if I ask him "why are you covering your ears?"  if he's scared, he will tell me "I'm scared."  If it's too noisy, he will say "too loud."  It breaks my heart to know that he is constantly living in a state of fear.  However, it warms my heart  knowing that God is there to help him through it.  I just need to cover him in prayer and ask God to break down that stronghold of fear and anxiety.  Ask him to show me why anxiety is playing such a huge role in his life.  Is it environmental, physical or a combination?  God will show me what I need to know to help my son through his fears.  I know this because when I am anxious, I pray over myself for God to help me through the fear and he does.  This is something I need to be doing for my son with autism throughout the day.

Lord,
Thank you for bringing us together for this study.  Thank you for opening our eyes and our hearts to how you need for us to pray over our children.  We lift up all of our children and ask that you show us what strongholds need to be broken in them.  Please show us how we can help our children and how they can help themselves.
In Your Name We Pray,
Amen

Bible Verses from Chapter 28
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.  -Matthew 16:19

There is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.  -Matthew 10:26

Though they join forces, the wicked will not go unpunished; but the posterity of the righteous will be delivered.  -Proverbs 11:21

The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.  -Psalm 9:9

Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.  -Jeremiah 33:3

No comments: