Monday, September 12, 2011

I Forgive You

Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 26 of The Power of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian.  We'd love to hear your thoughts on this chapter as well.  Feel free to share in the comments section below the post.  We're sure you'll lift some one's spirits!

I forgive you...I'm sorry...these words are very important for us to hear.  It is important for us to teach this to our children as well.  I'm on the fence with making our children with autism say these words.  I do believe it's important for our children to say their sorry or that they forgive someone.  However, I think it's equally important for our children to understand what it means.  If I make my son with autism say he's sorry to a child he accidentally ran into, I am more so doing it for the other child and not my own.  I need to teach him what it means to say I'm sorry and in turn, I forgive you.

How do we teach our children with autism this?  I believe we teach them in the moment, by example.  For instance, we accidentally step on our children's foot.  Very quickly tell them you're sorry, give them a big hug, smile and show them the feelings on your face.  Teaching forgiveness is a lot trickier.  We can also teach in the moment with this as well.  Your child says they are sorry for something they've done.  Use your facial expressions to show them how happy it made you for them to say sorry and immediately tell them you forgive them.

Adding autism to the mix makes this a lot more difficult.  We definitely need to be praying over our children with this one.  We want our children to forgive and to truly understand what it means to be sorry and to forgive.  The easiest way to teach them this is to lead by example and to cover them in prayer.

Lord,
I lift our children to you and ask that you will give them a heart full of forgiveness.  Show us how we can teach them out to forgive and how to let others know that they forgive them.  Remind us to lead by example and to always be quick to forgive.
In Your Name We Pray,
Amen

Bible Verses from Chapter 26
Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ also forgave you.  -Ephesians 4:31-32

If you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  -Matthew 6:14-15

His master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.  So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brothers his trespasses.  -Matthew 18:34-35

The discretion of a man make him slow to anger, and it is to his glory to overlook a transgression.  -Proverbs 19:11

Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.  -Mark 11:25

No comments: