Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hungry for God

Below are Jessica's thoughts on Chapter 9 of The Power Of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. Please know that what we all learn from a study is usually different. We love to hear what you have learned as well. Please leave a comment in the comment section below this post.)

The woman who directs faith formation for special needs children at my church once said to me that we as adults often know "about" God, but the children she teaches actually "know" God. This chapter points out that our children will be targeted by Satan for attacks to draw them away from the things of God. I do believe that this is important for us to pray against but want to also make another point. Our children perceive the world and even God differently than we do because of the unique way that they are affected by autism. I see my son as being very impressionable when it comes to matters of faith, and often more open to God than I am. Matthew has a great deal of difficulty sitting through church, will make noise at the most inopportune times and his prayers are often difficult for others to understand, but there is a certain reverence that he has. Last week, he walked with me on the communion line. After I received communion and the minister gave him his blessing, he looked up at me, smiled and said, "Jesus". It was so sweet and precious. I imagine that God delights in his little voice saying the name of Jesus even more.

I think it's important to realize that, whether we can see outward signs of it or not, our children are very susceptible to the influence and power of God in their lives. Through our prayers and the example we set, we can feed this tendency and increase their hunger for God.

Lord,
Thank you for hearing us and for the power you make available to us through prayer in the name of Jesus. Help us to recognize and take advantage of every "teachable moment" where we can help our children to learn Your holy Word, develop their faith and a deep hunger for the good things of God. If there are people or things in our lives that keep us from doing this, I ask that you remove them. Furthermore I pray that you will send people that will encourage us and our children in our walk with God. Give us wisdom and understanding so that we make the most of every opportunity you give us and may our prayers on behalf of our children be a source of comfort, strength and hope. We ask this in your Holy name.
Amen.

No comments: