Monday, November 22, 2010

With Thankful Hearts

(This week we are sharing five things relating to our journey with autism which we are most grateful to God for. We encourage you to share the ways that God has blessed you also by posting a comment. Each of us is gifted, loved and blessed by God in a unique way. We are sure that everyone will be encouraged by what we all share.)

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
-Psalm 100: 4-5

Jessica's List:

1. God- Without the guidance and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, I would be completely, 100% lost as to how to help my child. At best, I would have a shot in the dark. God's unfailing love and forgiveness have been a constant. There have been many times where I've wanted to give in to the temptation to just try things out of desperation to help my son or felt lost from frustration or sadness. God has always been faithful and helped me to get back up again each and every time.

2. Matthew- Through all of this I have the most amazing, sweet, resilient little boy to cherish, teach and love. He brings so much happiness, love and joy to my life.

3. Being a witness to miracles-Every step forward is appreciated so much more, and is such a source of hope for me. Autism is so very hard sometimes, but the rewards of seeing my son reach a new milestone are truly amazing.

4. A community of autism moms-This is a club that I never wanted to belong to, but is filled with the most determined and inspiring people anyone could hope to meet. I love the way we support, help and strengthen one another.

5. The change in my heart- Having a child with autism is continuously challenging on so many levels. As I learn, heal and grow, I get to know God better every day. I am also better at relating to others who are suffering and have a much greater capacity for love and compassion. In relation to this, I am also so grateful for any chance to use my pain and also my victories to help and encourage other mothers.


Nicole's List:

1. God- I am so thankful that you, God, continue to amaze me. On days where I just don't feel like I can give any more, you surprise me with the comfort and the motivation that I need. I am so thankful that I know you and know the power that you have over everything in this world.

2. Sean's Voice: I know there are days where I ask for so much God. Days when I beg and plead for you to help my son be able to hold a conversation with me. Days when I bargain with you to help my children form that brotherly relationship that other brothers have. Today God, I want you to know how thankful I am just to hear the sound of my son's voice. Whether it's scripting, a one word phrase or one of his phenomenal sentences I never thought I'd hear, I thank you for every sound he makes.

3. Friends: I have to give kudos to you God for giving me the friends who don't have children on the spectrum. Yes, they may not totally "get it" however, they help me appreciate things in a whole new light. Thank you for giving me friends and neighbors I can lean on, cry with and see the miracles that you do with my son.

4. My husband and my family: I thank you God for giving me a husband who is hard working and a wonderful father. Thank you for giving him the heart and the passion to want to help his children and most importantly want to spend time with them. I also thank you for blessing me with a family that is always there to lift us up when we need it.

5. Sean's Twin Brother, Hunter: I'll never forget the moment you let me know that I was having twins God. The excitement, the fear, the happiness, the fear :). I was so honored that you trusted me with two at one time. After Sean was diagnosed with autism, it was extremely difficult for me to accept the fact that one had autism and the other didn't. Then I was concerned what that would do to their "twin relationship." Yet you never failed me. You gave me Hunter, an amazing little boy who wants nothing but to help his brother be happy. You helped him form an exceptional "twin relationship" with Sean that they both treasure. You never cease to amaze me God.

We hope that you all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving and look forward to resuming our study of Battlefield of the Mind next Wednesday!

Jessica, Nicole and Chrissy


What are you thankful for?

No comments: