Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Can You See Your Dream?

(Below are Nicole's thoughts on Chapter 14, Living Out Your Big Dream, of The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. Please know that what we all learn from a study is usually different. Therefore, we encourage you to share your thoughts and what you've learned in the comments section below each post. We're sure you'll lift someone's spirit.)

As we come to a close with learning about our Big Dreams with our Dream Coach and our dear friend Ordinary, Bruce Wilkinson really opens my eyes and my heart to a different but similar dream.

In Chapter 14, Living Out Your Big Dream, our Dream Coach shares with us his Big Dream and how when he finally found it, it looked different. It was still his Dream but only bigger. Bruce shared with us how we are to not hide ourselves from God and what He needs done. On page 151, Bruce says "We did know what God wanted done. And we could not-we must not-hide." He then went on to say "God had promised to provide, to protect, to answer, to always be with us. How then could we say no to what He wanted done?" He then showed us that once we realize what God needs for us to do, we need to "turn the tide". This might shake our Dream up a little bit but Bruce encourages us to be mighty Warriors of faith. Our Dream Coach then tells us of how Ordinary finally gets to the point of where he feels like he's accomplished his Big Dream. That's when The Dream Giver tells him "Let me show you more.....Come further." Our Dream Coach urges us to go further. Keep pressing forward to God and what He needs done. Keep leaving the Land of Familiar.

When you think about your Big Dream, I'm sure like most of us including Ordinary, it looks a certain way to you. However, like Ordinary, when we reach our Big Dreams they will most likely look different. Better. Bigger. Why? Because we have left the Land of Familiar, conquered our Comfort Zones, beat our Border Bullies, survived and learned so much in our Wasteland, found our Sanctuary, defeated our Giants and most importantly found our Big Dream. The funny thing is the reason we are ok with our Dream looking so different is because through all of the things we traveled through we became closer to our Dream Giver. We started living our lives for God instead of for ourselves. Our Big Dream became the Big Dream that God needs for us to have.

So what does all this mean to me as a mom with a child with autism who has a Big Dream of my child being healed one day? It means that I'm not going to hide from what God needs for me to do while I'm pursuing my dream. Even if it means the outlook of my Dream changes. Just this week, God showed me a different side to my Dream. As we all know, it's Autism Awareness Month. I've had a lot of people, mostly friends, telling me they want to learn more about the diet, therapies and what they can do to help. I think this is wonderful. However, honestly, all I want them to do is know my son. See my son the way I see him. The way God sees him. Please don't point out what's wrong and make me see him any differently. Then God showed me that's what I need to do this month of April. Help others really get to know my son. Most importantly, encourage others to get to know other children with autism, especially their own. See their children the way God does. And it's ok that my Dream looks a little different right now. You see, God has our best interests in mind. He loves us so much and only wants the best for us. I honestly believe that like Ordinary when I find my Big Dream it's going to look different. Bigger and better than before. More promising. More love. More hope. Why? Because it's what God needs for me to do. And just when I accomplish my Big Dream and start to be in the Land of Familiar, I'm going to remember this journey I'm on now so that when I hear The Dream Giver whisper "Come further", I will quickly pack my bags and leave the Land of Familiar in hopes of finding another Big Dream.


Bible Verses:
The following Bible Verses are the verses that I found throughout the Bible that I feel go well with this chapter. I also want to encourage you to read all of the verses our Dream Coach listed on the Notes section in the back of his book.

"I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me." -Psalm 16:7-8

"Moses proceeded to do everything as the Lord had commanded him." -Exodus 40:16

"Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. But you haven't believed in me even thought you have seen me. However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them. For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who has sent, not to do what I want. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them to eternal life at the last day. For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life-that I should raise them at the last day." -John 6:35-40

No comments: